My formal education is in English/Communications. At Mars Hill University I was trained in English, American and World literature, but also completed coursework in journalism, feature writing, public speaking, theater and music. My internship was in writing for television – and I worked in the Promotions Department at Asheville ABC affilate, Channel 13 WLOS.
In all my jobs writing skills have proven invaluable.
- In my human resources position with Mayland Community College I drafted HR policies, wrote job descriptions, recruitment ad copy, and assembled and edited our employee handbook and safety manuals.
- In my work with Engineering and Environmental Services I helped write reports for submission to state and local authorities.
- At Christian Tours part of my job was to develop and write new tours (and also edit and update older tours) for our 224-page tour catalog.
- At Blue Ridge HealthCare I wrote hundreds of press releases, feature stories for magazines, voice-overs for TV and radio commercials, ad copy and the majority of content for our corporate website.
- At Carolinas HealthCare System I edit website copy to ensure maximum readability and search engine optimization.
Below are links to some of my writing samples:
- Precision technology helps ﬁght cancer
- Oncology using new drugs to battle cancer
- Burke County OB/GYNs Leading Western NC in New Procedure
- Bravery on Two Fronts – Deployed Marine’s Wife Gives Birth – But How to Share the News?
- 3D not just for movies anymore – Digital ORs at Valdese Hospital integrate with 3D modeling for advanced ortho surgery
- Finding The Needle in the Haystack – PET Scans Revolutionizing Early Detection, Staging of Cancer
- Surgeons have new assistant – Digital operating rooms open at Valdese
- War of the Woods – Toxic Plants Can Turn Your Outdoor Dreams To Nightmares
- Keeping Arteries Free to Flow – Atherosclerosis: The No. 1 Cause of Death
- Breast Cancer Survivors Find Different Ways to Cope